Re: [help-texinfo] Cygwin problems

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Cygwin problems
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:35:22 -0500

Hi Kristin,

Well, this doesn't seem to be related to Texinfo, and I don't use
Cygwin, but from the error you reported:

    E488 Trailing characters: nocompatible^M
    line 2:
    E484: Can't open file /usr/share/vim/vim62/vimrc_example.vim^M

I surmise that vim is somehow not accepting the ^M character that is at
the end of each line.  I am surprised, since I would think that that is
one thing that Cygwin could handle for every program.

In any case, you could try deleting the ^M characters:
tr -d '\r' <.vimrc >temp; mv temp .vimrc

Or, I'm not sure you really need that .vimrc at all.  You could just
mv .vimrc temp, and perhaps vim would work well enough then.

If this doesn't help, you might send the report to the cygwin mailing
list, whatever it is, as they will know much more than me.

Good luck.