Re: [help-texinfo] Re: New Texi parser?

From: Jean-Louis Leroy
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Re: New Texi parser?
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 15:23:24 +0000

> Hallöchen!

Hi Torsten, glad to see you, I had a quick look at your texi2latex.

BTW do you know Perl?

> No.  The conditional parts with @if... are not copied all to the XML
> file, only some of them.  Comments are missing and two or three
> other things that I cannot remember at the moment.

My parser throws comments away by default, although it would be very
easy to subclass it and override parse_c to add Comment nodes to the
AST. Macros don't show up there either, they are expanded via
recursive parsing and again it's just a matter of overriding the
parse_end_macro method.

> From today's point of view, the idea to process the Texinfo file
> with TeX itself was not a very good one.

Whoa, that's how it's done?!

> However, the way via XML is too slow for some purposes, e.g. in
> Makefiles.

Is speed important? makeinfo --html seems a lot more instantaneous
than I need. Perl plus multimethods (via Damian Conways'
Class::Multimethods) surely won't beat C.
--
Jean-Louis Leroy
Sound Object Logic