[help-texinfo] wish: type on separate (preceding) line

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: [help-texinfo] wish: type on separate (preceding) line
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 12:16:28 +0100

PDF output for a function currently looks like:

  void * svz_server_configure (svz servertype t * server, char *   [Function]
           name, void * arg, svz_config_accessor_t * configure)
       This function configures a server instance by modifying ...

but it would be nice IMO to make it look like:

  void *                                                           [Function]
  svz_server_configure (svz servertype t * server, char * name,
           void * arg, svz_config_accessor_t * configure)
       This function configures a server instance by modifying ...

That is, the type should be on a line of its own, and (for bonus points)
each argument should not break between arg type and arg name.  I tried
messing around with texinfo.tex but don't have the requisite chops.[0]
Any hope for a command-line switch for makeinfo to support this style?

[0] here is an excerpt from \def\defname {...}:

  {%
    % defun fonts. We use typewriter by default (used to be bold) because:
    % . we're printing identifiers, they should be in tt in principle.
    % . in languages with many accents, such as Czech or French, it's
    %   common to leave accents off identifiers.  The result looks ok in
    %   tt, but exceedingly strange in rm.
    % . we don't want -- and --- to be treated as ligatures.
    % . this still does not fix the ?` and !` ligatures, but so far no
    %   one has made identifiers using them :).
    \df \tt
    \def\temp{#2}% return value type
    \ifx\temp\empty\else \tclose{\temp} \fi
    %#3% output function name