[help-texinfo] getting the vector version of an image into a PDF

From: Rick Jones
Subject: [help-texinfo] getting the vector version of an image into a PDF
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 11:09:33 -0700

Folks,

Until now I've only used texinfo for the netperf manual (http://www.netperf.org/svn/netperf2/trunk/doc/netperf.html et al) and so the issue of images in documents wasn't a big deal. Now though I've written a document which includes images, and I'm curious to know how to get it to use the scalable version of the images I've created rather than the bitmapped when creating the PDF. While not necessarily trashing what is done when creating the HTML version.

I'm creating the PDF version via:

texi2pdf --batch -o hf_sflow_counters.pdf hf_sflow_counters.texi

The installed version of texinfo is 4.13a.dfsg.1-6ubuntu3 and the .texi file along with everything else associated with the document can be found under:

ftp://ftp.netperf.org/papers/high_freq_sflow

Looking at http://www.gnu.org/s/texinfo/manual/texinfo/texinfo.html#Image-Syntax I got the impression that adding the extension to the @image would cause that to be looked at first, but straces of texi2pdf showed it looking for png exclusively.

thanks,

rick jones