Re: [help-texinfo] how could texinfo support Chinese-Simplified?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] how could texinfo support Chinese-Simplified?
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 21:44:19 GMT

Hi,

    I am helping with translation, and there are texinfo files. I set
    @documentencoding utf-8, and texi2pdf test.texi, the Chinese
    characters are missing in the PDF. So,how could I solve it? The
    manual says texinfo support unicode, maybe it is not complete?

Current makeinfo "supports" Unicode in that it simply outputs what it is
given (more or less), so if the final browser/info reader/whatever can
handle Chinese, the bytes are there.

Right now, there is no viable way to support Chinese (or many other
languages) in PDF's made with texinfo.tex.  Sorry.

The plan for this is to add a LaTeX backend to makeinfo, so we can take
advantage of all the multilingual support that has been developed over
the decades for TeX.  It is completely infeasible to try to reimplement
all that.  I hope that will all be in place next year sometime.  (Right
now we are trying to pull everything together to make the long-overdue
next release.)

Best,