Re: [help-texinfo] File no longer builds after upgrade to Texinfo 5.0

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] File no longer builds after upgrade to Texinfo 5.0
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 02:33:06 +0100

On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 04:37:12PM +0000, Mat Booth wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> [[[
> You found a bug: context rawpreformatted instead of line or def
>
> Additional informations:
> last location: pp3.texi:537
> context_stack: (_root rawpreformatted rawpreformatted line rawpreformatted)
> current: (misc_line_arg) :   contents(3)
>  <- @cindex
> Died at /usr/share/texinfo/Texinfo/Parser.pm line 1667.
> ]]]
>

> This is my first exposure to Texinfo so I am afraid I am unable to
> make a smaller reproduction case.

The smallest reproduction case was

@cindex @tex

> The error message "You found a bug:
> context rawpreformatted instead of line or def" means absolutely
> nothing to me and I cannot find any reference to this error message in
> the manual at http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/texinfo.html
> Even Googling for it finds nothing relevant, only messages from the
> texinfo commits mailing list.

Indeed, that's a bug message that is not meant to happen at all.  You
need to read (and understand...) the code to really understand what that
means.  But reporting here is the way to go!

> I would very much appreciate any hints on how to get this working with
> Texinfo 5.

The bug should be fixed in svn.  I attach the diff.

There are quite a bit of issues in your manual with texinfo 5.  I attach a
diff for it too.  There are ugly conditionals to make it work with
previous releases too.  If you can only use texinfo >= 5, you can only
define the @macro s with @inlineraw.

Even with this diff, there is still an error like
pp3.texi:2614: unknown command `kern0' (possibly involving @s)

The reason why this leads to an error now is documented as:

  . @-commands are now recognized in raw format blocks.  Therefore, for
    example, lone @, { and } characters in @tex, @html and similar
    environments must be converted to the normal @@, @{, and @}
    commands.