[help-texinfo] how does one encode a middle dot? and other questions

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: [help-texinfo] how does one encode a middle dot? and other questions
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 11:18:34 +0200

Hi,

Several things.

First, is there a way to encode U+00B7 (middle dot) in a texi
file, in a way similar to @guillemetright{} and @bullet{}?

Second, in the manual it says that @documentencoding sets the
input encoding.  But I find that an @guillemetright{} only gets
rendered as "»" (instead of ">>") when I set @documentencoding
to UTF-8.  So it's more like that command sets the output encoding,
no?  But what will happen on a machine that does not use a UTF-8
locale?  Will the resulting info file still be readable when the
above command is used?  How will the guillemet get rendered there?

Third, a small thing about the manuals:

$ grep option  doc/*.texi | grep dots
doc/info-stnd.texi:info address@hidden@dots{}] address@hidden
address@hidden@dots{}]
doc/texinfo.texi:install-info address@hidden@dots{} address@hidden
address@hidden

The dots are sometimes inside, sometimes outside the square brackets.
(To me, inside makes the most sense.)

Fourth... has already mostly been fixed in SVN, I see.

Fifth, during ./configure of 5.9.90 I saw this:
checking for a french Unicode locale... none
Why does it check for that? Is it just for running a test?
Or would it enable stuff?

Sixth, how do I run texi2any without installing it?
Running tp/texi2any fails with:
Can't locate Texinfo/Convert/Texinfo.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
/usr/local/share/texinfo/lib/Text-Unidecode/lib
/usr/local/share/texinfo/lib/Unicode-EastAsianWidth/lib
/usr/local/share/texinfo/lib/libintl-perl/lib /etc/perl
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5
/usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10 /usr/share/perl/5.10
/usr/local/lib/site_perl . /usr/local/share/texinfo) at tp/texi2any line 106.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at tp/texi2any line 106.

(By the way, the gluing together of "failed--compilation" is ugly.)

I wish to check whether makeinfo still produces no blank line
between the items of a bulleted list (which 5.1 doesn't but
4.13 did).  And whether @bullet{} still produces only a * (U+002A)
instead of a real • (U+2022) in an info file.  (Stars are already
used to mark menu items.  It would be nice if bulletted lists used
a different character when in a UTF-8 locale.)

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Access all of your messages and folders
                          wherever you are