Re: [help-texinfo] how does one encode a middle dot? and other questions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] how does one encode a middle dot? and other questions
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 14:20:41 +0300

Others have pointed out the @U feature in the next release.

> > The next release will have a feature in the stand-alone Info reader to
> > replace the characters that cannot be displayed by suitable ASCII art.
>
> Does that mean that when the .info file contains an actual UTF-8
> character, say a right guillemet (U+00BB), and info is run in a plain
> POSIX locale, the character would be shown as >> or something?

Nitpicking: the Info file will contain a UTF-8 _sequence_ for the
U+00BB character.

> Hmm, testing it...  Yes, that appears to work.  Cool.
>
> So I could use @documentencoding UTF-8 in some future, and rest
> assured that it won't result in garbage in other locales.

Please note that this treatment is reserved to certain Unicode
characters that the stand-alone reader knows about, not to any
arbitrary character out there.  Basically, the characters emitted by
makeinfo as part of formatting are the only ones supported.