Re: Problem with heading appearing on new chapter page

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: Problem with heading appearing on new chapter page
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 15:41:36 -0600

    I had a look at a few printed books and there seems to be typographical
    precedent for not having the page number in the usual place on a chapter
    page, so I am thinking that perhaps the page number should be omitted
    unconditionally if a @*heading command isn't used.

FWIW, I don't think that's a good idea for Texinfo. The reason most
books do chapter pages differently is that chapter openings are
formatted significantly different from regular text pages. So, for
example, the page number might appear centered at the bottom instead of
in the header.

But for Texinfo, all pages are (intentionally) laid out the same
way. Texinfo is supposed to emphasize usability and simplicity over
appearance. So not having a page number on a non-blank content does not
seem right to me -- that would just make it harder for people to figure
out what page it is if they want to refer to it.

As you know, Texinfo was never intended to support arbitrary formatting. -k