Re: warning about missing menu items?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: warning about missing menu items?
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 16:51:39 -0600

    A warning was recently readded for that case,

I'm glad.

    With 7.0.3, to get the warning, you need to pass
      -c CHECK_NORMAL_MENU_STRUCTURE=1

Thanks. Very helpful.

    As a side note, to me it would be fine if there was no warning in the
    default case

Well, I shouldn't argue since you already said it's changed for the next
release, but FWIW, I disagree.

    as it could be on purpose that chap2 is not in the menu.

I believe 99% of Texinfo documents are intended to be "normally"
structured, and thus missing menu items are other out-of-hierarchy
errors are unintentional. So IMHO this is the case that Texinfo defaults
should target. And, to my knowledge, this has been the case for quite a
few years, after going to a lot of trouble to change from the "anything
goes" of the original implementations.  Which is why I was surprised
when there was no warning when I happened to notice I'd forgotten a menu
entry.

    Another possibility would be to pass a tree transformation to get texi2any
    to generate the missing menu entry:
    ./texi2any.pl -c TREE_TRANSFORMATIONS=complete_tree_nodes_menus file.texi

Also very helpful. I will try it. Thanks Pat! -k