howto-kickstart

[Howto-kickstart] RedHat 7.1 Kickstart problems

From: Tyler Walters
Subject: [Howto-kickstart] RedHat 7.1 Kickstart problems
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 12:15:47 -0800 (PST)

Hello all sysadmins-

I am a student in a sysadmin class at Oregon State University.  My current
task is to configure kickstart to automatically configure a router.  I
have been running into alot of problems and have been doing much research
via the web.  I encountered this GNU kickstart list and saw that there are
many like me experiencing problems with kickstart.  From the context of
many of your messages it appears that some of you were
able to get kickstart to work with version 7.1 RedHat.  I was wondering
where you based the install from - cdrom, ftp, nfs, or http?  I am trying
for cdrom and for the life of me, cannot get it to work.  It keeps saying
that 'no install method specified for kickstart' when I use Alt-F3 to tab
to the other install console after it boots off of the disk, but I have
explicitly specified it in the ks.cfg file.  I even modified the
initrd.img to include ks.cfg in a /tmp
directory, because it was reporting an error when looking for kickstart in
that directory.  Also, another thing I found funny was that it still
prompts for language, keyboard, etc. and when it prompts for install
method, it only lists nfs, ftp and http, but not cdrom.  Would you be able
to provide me with any insight on why this is happening?  If so, it would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

- Tyler Walters

P.S. if there is a good sight explaining all of this and the problems with
redhat 7.1 and kickstart, please send that as well.  I have not been able
to find one on my own yet and have searched for hours.