ifile-discuss

[Ifile-discuss] Re: Limitations on folder names?

From: Julian Rendell
Subject: [Ifile-discuss] Re: Limitations on folder names?
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 15:23:13 -0700

You could look at it that way ;-)

I'm an email pack rat; there's no way I could cope with e.g. my personal
correspondance in a single mbox called 'friends'.

So in ~/mail I have top level mboxes.  Under ~/mail I created
subdirectories, e.g. friends, and in these sub-directories are mboxes
for a specific category, e.g. 'John Doe'.  I've used this with netscape,
mozilla, pine, evolution, and the CMU (?- from the creators of Pine)
imap server.  I also like 'natural & descriptive' file names- i.e.
sometimes include spaces.  I've found that it's best not to have spaces
for subdirectory names; at least a few of the above programs fail on
that.  But it appears to be ok to have spaces in mbox names.

So all I plan to do is alter Jack Bertram's scripts to recurse my tree
of directories under ~/mail, rather than just the mbox files in ~/mail.
I'll create a mapping to remove spaces; it sounds like non-white space
chars should be ok as far as ifile is concerned.

I'll also have to create a couple of glue scripts/rules for the procmail
rules to map between munged names and real names of folders.

NB- this is a back burner project... don't expect to hear from me about
this to soon :-)

Regards

Julian