iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Optimization

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Optimization
Date: 20 Feb 2002 14:14:33 -0700

On Wed, 2002-02-20 at 08:49, Peter Hanappe wrote:

> I was thinking of adding support for the LADSPA plugins to iiwusynth. It
> is not high on my priority list but it  would make it easy to add new
> master effects to the synthesizer while keeping the synth coherent with
> the soundfont specifications. Have you considered turning your equalizer
> into a LADSPA plugin?

I've also been thinking a lot about LADSPA and JACK support for
iiwusynth. Makes it real convenient to plug iiwusynth into an effect
chain etc. On a somewhat related note; I'm trying to get an idea of how
Smurf will deal with audio and MIDI in conjunction with iiwusynth. Any
thoughts of how this should be handled?
I'm thinking that iiwusynth will probably be the primarily used
wavetable device for Smurf, but I'm going to have support for other
things as well (Takashi Iwai's OSS AWE 32/64/Live based driver) and
would also like to have audio input support for recording samples
directly to Smurf.
It would be nice to be able to just configure iiwusynth to use its own
audio/MIDI driver plugins for output and be able to interface to them
easily (perhaps add audio input support?) Or, since I am already going
to have an audio/MIDI plugin driver system for Smurf for the cases when
it isn't used with iiwusynth, perhaps I should just use it instead. This
seems kind of a shame though, so perhaps using a combination of Smurf
drivers and iiwusynth drivers.. Anyways. If you have any ideas of how
this could be handled, I would like to hear them :)
Development is coming along. Slower than I would like, as usual. But its
getting there. Smurf now starts up again, and most of the user interface
elements are falling back into place (all GTKObjectified and built on
top of the new GObject based libsmurf and libsoundfont library). The
foundation for the new Smurf is going to allow for some really cool
things, is what I keep telling myself, since I'm really just doing an
overhaul and progress isn't always so apparent.
Cheers!
        Josh Green