iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] API changes ?

From: Tim Goetze
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] API changes ?
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 14:49:17 +0200 (CEST)

Antoine Schmitt wrote:

>C API. Making some rude changes might break people's code that rely
>on the API. Note that though I am not used to GPL development, I am
>very used to shared/team development with version control. So I am
>more wondering what is the process in public projects like iiwusynth :
>- who decides the changes
>- who implements them
>- is it better to make an API evolve (keep the old APIs and add new
>ones) or change (replace the old by the new)

usually somebody will implement what they need (or a bugfix), and the
maintainer (usually who started the project) has the last word on
whether to accept it.

personally i think it's better to dump outdated APIs, and freely
improve an existing API if needed, even if it breaks existing code. i
feel this is the only way to get closer to perfection, but others
will argue for compatibility instead.

>The sfreload and sfrunload are not implemented. I need them for my
>Xtra. Is it ok if I implement them and add them to the API ?

no objections on my part.

tim