iiwusynth-devel

[iiwusynth-devel] Compiling iiwusynth from CVS

From: pu31tt001
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] Compiling iiwusynth from CVS
Date: 13 Jul 2002 15:36:59 -0000

Hi again,

I found a MIDI sequencer that says it explicitly supports iiwusynth through
ALSA, called Rosegarden (http://www.all-day-breakfast.com/rosegarden/).  So I
installed ALSA, and then tried running iiwusynth as suggested on the Rosegarden
site:

  iiwusynth -m alsa_seq path/to/soundfont.sf2

But when I tried that, iiwusynth complained as follows:

  iiwusynth: error: Couldn't find the requested MIDI driver
  Failed to create the MIDI input handler

It says the same thing when I try '-m alsa'.  I figure this had to do with my
having an old version of iiwusynth installed which probably didn't have ALSA
support yet (even though it was the latest version available on your site,
0.2.1, so I'm surprised).

Anyhow, I've decided to try compiling iiwusynth from CVS with the hope that '-m
alsa_seq' will work in this version.  So I checked out the 'iiwusynth'
repository and tried running ./configure as per the INSTALL instructions, but
./configure didn't exist, so I assume there's something I have to do to create
it (though it's not documented anywhere I looked).

I know pretty much nothing about autoconf/automake (all I know is that they
have something to do with this 'configure' script), so I have almost no idea
how to create this script.  I tried the following things, but they all gave me
errors, as shown:

$ autoconf
configure.in:28: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
autoconf: Undefined macros:
configure.in:127:AC_SOUND
configure.in:140:AC_MIDISHARE
configure.in:156:AC_JACK

$ autoconf-2.13
configure.in:28: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
autoconf: Undefined macros:
configure.in:127:AC_SOUND
configure.in:140:AC_MIDISHARE
configure.in:156:AC_JACK

$ autoconf-2.52d
configure.in:6: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
configure.in:7: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONFIG_HEADER
configure.in:13: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
configure.in:127: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_SOUND
configure.in:140: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MIDISHARE
configure.in:156: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_JACK

$ autoconf-2.53a
configure.in:6: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
configure.in:7: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONFIG_HEADER
configure.in:13: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
configure.in:127: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_SOUND
configure.in:140: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MIDISHARE
configure.in:156: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_JACK

So I'm pretty lost.  Could you explain what I have to do to create the
'configure' script so I can compile iiwusynth?

Thanks for your patience...

Paul