info-gnus-english

Re: Emacs resident looking for advice when Gnus blocks while fetching ne

From: Garjola Dindi
Subject: Re: Emacs resident looking for advice when Gnus blocks while fetching news
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2019 22:04:00 +0100

On Wed 04-Dec-2019 at 16:42:51 +01, "Fraga, Eric" <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Wednesday,  4 Dec 2019 at 15:46, Garjola Dindi wrote:
>> One thing that bothers me is the fact that Gnus blocks my emacs when
>> fetching news, e-mails and RSS feeds (altough I use feed2imap for most
>> of my feeds).
>>
>> I understand that some emacs users use 2 different emacs instances, one

[..]

> My solution now is to use group levels more smartly.  By default, "g" in
> the Group buffer only retrieves emails from my main server and that is
> quick.  If/when I know I have time, I retrieve from all servers by C-u 5
> g (say) or by M-g on individual lines in the Group buffer.
>
> You would need to play with gnus-activate-level in particular, I think.

Yes, I have set gnus-activate-level to 1 and level 1 contains only my
main inbox which is a nnmaildir (fed by offlineimap) and I use exactly
what you suggest to retrieve my other messages. I even have an idle
timer to retrieve everything when emacs is idle for a while.

The thing is that, even with that, Gnus is much slower than my
colleague’s mu4e and this is a bit frustrating.

Another thing I have found to make things slow is having an nnmaildir
with lots of messages. I therefore archive the oldest ones and use
mairix to index and query.

Maybe other methods than nnmaildir would be faster?

Anyway, thanks for the hints. If anything else I could do comes to mind,
I will be happy to try it.

G.