info-sather

Re: Some thoughts about Sather

From: Kipton M Barros
Subject: Re: Some thoughts about Sather
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 21:45:59 -0500 (EST)

Nobbi, thanks for your reply.

> There is a completely new library growing to completeness at the moment.
> You might want to look at the 1.3-beta series if you are interested in
> that. Keith Hopper is just writing documentation for it as well.

I've just downloaded the 1.3.b-2 source tarball from the GNU page.
Unfortunately, it runs into an error during make: "Creating C for
installation compiler"  -> "Type check, generate [...] signal 11 caught
...".  I'm running Debian Linux.  I think I remember this was mentioned
earlier.  Was there a quick fix?  (Sorry if this has been asked many times
before.)

> Again, the compiler implementation is about just as buggy as the
> browser. Before any minute is put into polishing the surface of the
> existing compiler, it is much more urgent to have a new compiler written
> from scratch. Work is being done here as well.

Hmm, I'm curious, is there any more information available?  Is it
currently something that one could poke around with?

kipton