info-sather

Re: Some thoughts about Sather

From: Kipton M Barros
Subject: Re: Some thoughts about Sather
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 21:12:42 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Keith Hopper wrote:

> > Nitpick: has anyone considered adding support for multiline comments
> > (* ... *) in the emacs Sather mode?  What's involved?
>
>      Never even half thought of it.  If you want to write a new
> implementation which does this sort of thing - fine.  Until we have got the
> bugs out of the language specification as is we are not contemplating any
> further changes to the ICSI specification.

It took me a while to figure out what you meant by this.  Is the comment
syntax "(* ... *)" not currently in the ICSI spec?  The reason I ask is
because I thought that the current (non-alpha) version of "sacomp" allows
this (discovered by trial and error..)

> > This one's a little radical:  I'm wondering about language support for
> > tuples. Was this ever discussed? I'm imagining dynamic packing/unpacking.
>     Strangely enough this is by no means radical.  It is already on our
> list of language primitives for the future - as another constructor class -
> in the sense that AREF and AVAL are really constructor classes.

That sounds like something to look forward to.  Are you also considering
adding support for simultaneous unpacking of tuples into multiple named
variables?

Great work so far...

kipton