info-sather

Programming question

From: Kipton M Barros
Subject: Programming question
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 00:12:44 -0500 (EST)

What's the best way to get a C_CHAR_PTR out of a STR?  The way I thought
up to do it is:

- get STR's "fstr", and get an 'array()' copy,
- store the array copy (so garbage collection doesn't kick in),
- get 'array_ptr()', and cast

Is there a better way?

I assume that having an array_ptr() is not counted as a "reference" by the
garbage collector.

I'm still using the old package (the one public available on the GNU
Sather site), because the alpha will not compile on my machine.

Thanks,
kipton