info-sather

Re: Manual issue -- contravariance?

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: Re: Manual issue -- contravariance?
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 15:21:53 +0100

On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 11:59:34PM +1030, Michael Talbot-Wilson wrote:
> I don't understand the explanation of contravariant conformance on pp
> 87-89 of the language manual, and I wonder whether the text is not
> corrupt thereabouts, whether, e.g., some paragraphs of explanation
> have become corroded and dropped off.
>
> Why does the boxed "abstract class $SUPER is" declaration of page 87
> get repeated identically on page 88?  Why is it represented that the
> second copy is inferred from the first copy?

There actually is an error in the text. The second ocurrance of the "abstract
class $SUPER is" box should be replaced by:

---
class SUBCLASS < $SUPER is
   foo(a1:$UPPER, out a2:$LOWER, inout a3:$MIDDLE):$LOWER is ... end;
end;
---

> Why does the line "Suppose we start ... capable of eating" not end
> with a full stop?  I guess that the remainder of the sentence and some
> further paragraphs are missing at that point.

A colon would be the correct ending for the sentence. The explanation is not
really exhaustive, but is seems correct to me.

I hope with this correction, the issue is cleared up. I will upload the
corrected pages to ftp.gnu.org sometimes soon.

Ciao,
Nobbi

--
-- JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!