info-sather

Re: Sather grammar

From: Keith Hopper
Subject: Re: Sather grammar
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 12:34:20 +1200

Hi,
     Thanks for the request, Dan!  I forgot to mention that there is a (now
corrected) grammar which you can pick up as

http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/sather/specifications/Language/annex-B/grammar.txt

     The notation used is that specified in ISO/IEC 14977:1996 - which used
to be a BS standard.  Both are called "Syntactic Metalanguage".  I have
added Sather-style section headings (because the SOURCE library class can
be told to ignore them!).

     The html file corresponding to these is

http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/sather/specifications/Language/annex-B/index.html

which contains cross-links to the various lexical components (eg
identifiers, built-ins and literals).  The default representation for the
symbols is given in annex-D.

     Note that the syntax specifies an identical language to earlier syntax
forms from ICSI -except- that I have tentatively added "library include"
and "library signifier" production rules with a view to the future.  Omit
these and the language grammar is that of the current implementation.

                        Keith

--
City Desk
Waikato University