info-sather

Re: Is there a CGI module kicking around?

From: Duke Normandin
Subject: Re: Is there a CGI module kicking around?
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 08:50:17 -0600

On 30/03/2012 1:20 AM, Michael Talbot-Wilson wrote:
On Wed, 28 Mar 2012, Duke Normandin wrote:

Have you guys heard of such a Sather module?
Not me.  Not a Sather CGI class that I know of.  I guess I'd use PHP
on Apache if I wanted something like that.

I first used PHP over 15 years ago. If I ever would use PHP again, I would do so in unison with Hiawatha as a web server. :)

How about a SQL module of some sort - mysql; postgress; sqlite3??
Yes!  David W. Simons wrote something called pgsaql, an interface to
PostgreSQL.  Years ago.  I've been using it ever since.  There are
recently-added libpg query and other functions not included.  It makes
a connection and does PQexec(), whose argument is an SQL query string,
but (from memory) not PQexecParams() which takes typed arguments.
Well that's a plus! Is that Sather's default "hook" into the nether world of databases, or is there another more "native" approach?

Is there a repository somewhere?
Dunno.  He offered it as new classes for the GNU Sather library but
the maintainer at the time didn't take it up.  (Not for any good
reason - there's nothing wrong with it.)  May be now in the contribs
file at ftp.gnu.org:/pub/gnu/sather though I haven't checked it yet.

Give me a week or two (don't tie me down!) and I'll put a version of
Sather there that has a Contribs directory with pgsaql in it.  It or
an update will eventually be Sather library classes.

What you refer to as "the GNU Sather library" is what I meant by "a repository". Is this library available "online", or is it simply a part of the Sather language package?

Thanks for the info. No pressure here! I'm test-driving and working through the docs.

--
Duke

--
Duke