js-shield

Design meeting 20211029

From: Michael McMahon
Subject: Design meeting 20211029
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 11:46:23 -0400

- Website
  - Site changes with wrapper names. It is now a matter of setting up auto deployment.   - Sent an email to Ana. There might have been some issues. The descriptions generated from the comments, the list are not generated properly. It would be great if you could go through the generated documentation. There are two possibilities. You can fix the generator and create the markup that should be there or we can change the comments in the source code to match the possibility of the generators. If there is another way to generate the lists, we could do this. We need to know what is available and what is not.
  - We updated FIT logo with the SVG you sent
  - This is the latest version of the logo:
https://pagure.io/jShelter/jShelter/blob/master/f/website/theme/static/images/jshelter-logo.svg
  - We updated the extension icons here: https://pagure.io/JS-Shield/JS-Shield/blob/master/f/common/img
  - Will review the generator and document any weirdness.
  - Adding to TODO list and that should be an easy one.
- UI direction
  - The latest issues about usability have to do with lack of visibility of subframes and their status. Can be problematic when subframes have different permissions. Not sure where to go from here.   - Now talking about nested frames in other frames with differing permissions.   - For instance, brave is more draconian on third party frames than top document frames. If the shield is lowered on top level to make it work, this is not optimal from a security viewpoint.   - If the users do not have another blocker, there are lots of nested iframes. They may not want to be fingerprinted by the third party scripts.  Maybe we should suggest using another block as well.
  - Not sure how to represent this well in the UI.
  - Aware that this is not very easy.
  - If we show all of the origins and domains, maybe the users would be overwhelmed.
  - Should all third parties be kept the same?
  - gmail for example is one domain and if they include something from google domain it is technically the same party. This came up with the voice call issues.   - Google ad services claim they do not use fingerprinting, but they might.   - Somehow differentiate and offload to the user, but the user may not understand.   - This is important and we need to make a decision. Probably need to build something on top of the original proposal.
- UI and a11y
  - Discussion about unifying the look of the extension and the webpage design.   - The options page is the one you see after clicking "settings" in the extension?  Yes.