js-shield

Re: MV3 JShelter Chrome Release

From: Libor Polčák
Subject: Re: MV3 JShelter Chrome Release
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2024 09:36:39 +0200

Hello Giorgio,

Hi Libor,

I've fixed some more bug (especially a couple preventing the popup from opening
on MV3) rebased and force pushed
(https://pagure.io/JShelter/webextension/tree/mv3).

I'd also like to make more explicit to users (maybe in the UI on startup?) that
MV3at this moment requires JShelter (like any other extension based on dynamic
script injections, like GreaseMonkey) to have users turn on the development
mode toggle: see
https://developer.chrome.com/docs/extensions/reference/api/userScripts#developer_mode_for_extensions_users

I guess the tests do not turn that flag on. But Giorgio, can you check that the
attached failed tests are correct? I mean, is seems that most of the wrappers
are broken.

However when I tried to open the PR I've promised I repeatedly got a 500 Server
error from pagure here: https://pagure.io/JShelter/webextension/diff/main..mv3

This didn't happen on other branches, so I'm a bit puzzled.

However, unless you or Michael know what's going on with pagure, we can comment
and amend the old way, through email/issues and plain old git.

Possibly Pagure is confused due to the rebases. It does not matter much. I
almost always use git to merge to have a control over the process. Moreover, we
do not need to merge now. I plan to release just for Chrome and just from the
mv3 branch. I will create a tag so no more force pushes to the released code
after that please.

 I've notice noticed that debug versions (compiled with "make debug") causes
infinite recursion errors in the content wrappers on Chrome (where the debugging code
calls wrapped APIs like performance.now() from within the wrapper).
Not sure whether it's a MV3-specific bug or it's already been happening in
previous Chrome versions, but I'll get to it after any other more user-facing
fix.

Do not mind the debug version now. We can get to that later.

Best wishes

Libor