koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Ethnicity?

From: Francisco M. Marzoa Alonso
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Ethnicity?
Date: Wed Nov 27 07:12:04 2002

On Wednesday 27 November 2002 14:51, Dorian Meid wrote:

> This is also true for Germany.
> My approach so far is to translate Koha as it is 1:1.
> This form is usually filled by the librarian, so he/she can decide for a
> generic item (e.g. human) and that's it.

Halo,

Well, I'm not sure whence its legal to have a field for ethnicity even when
you don't use it, since laws sometimes can be understanded in many ways, but
I agree 1/2 with you. Perhaps a possible solution could be to leave the
original template as is (but translated, of course) and create another one
with the same name plus "spain", something as "template.spain.tmpl" for
"template.tmpl" and include information about this in README or INSTALL
files.

> So we preserve this option for countries where ethnic informations are
> stored and at the same time you don't have a problem in all other
> countries. Aditionally you have to realize that tha Spanish version is for
> Spanish speaking people all over the world and not only for Spain.

Well, I don't fully agree on this since I've seen that there's a team for
Spanish translation in hispano-america, although it seems to be inactive:

http://www.saas.nsw.edu.au/wiki/index.php?page=TranslationTeams

Like other languages, Spanish has some differences in different countries,
both in vocabulary (consider "colour" and "color" in English) and even
grammar (some verb times are conjugated differently in Spain than in
Argentina in example).

Of course, for someone who speaks Spanish its better a Spanish translation
from other nation than nothing.

I've seen that several operating systems observe this issue, in LiNUX locales
for example I'm using "es_ES" while in Argentina I'll probably use "es_AR".
In Windows there're also several "versions" of Spanish. Perhaps it could be a
good idea to have a more specific locales in the future in koha.