koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Some thoughts about the "Dewey" field (was: What's a "D

From: Andrew Arensburger
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Some thoughts about the "Dewey" field (was: What's a "Dewey"?)
Date: Thu Nov 28 08:03:02 2002

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 07:43:23AM -0800, Tonnesen Steve wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, paul POULAIN wrote:
> I think the dewey field is going to become a character field soon in any
> case.  Numeric isn't right for dewey either as 156.0 is different from 156
> and 156.00.

        Thank you!
        So while we're at it, can anyone clarify the general form of a
Dewey number? I've seen "123" and "123.45", of course, but also
apostrophes and slashes: "123.45'67". Would
        /\d{3}(\.[\d\'\/]+)?/
do the trick, or is there more? Are slashes and apostrophes equivalent?
        (I ask mainly because when I write code, I like to check the
input for sanity. "FOOBAR" is definitely not a valid Dewey code).

PS: Personally, I think it might be cool to be able to browse topic
space. That is, when you look up a book by biblio or biblioitem, there
could be a link at the bottom of the page saying, "Find other books on
this topic." If the book has Dewey code 123.45, it would list other
books with code 123.45<whatever>, but also books with code
123<whatever>. But like so many cool features, this might be harder
to implement than it sounds.

--
Andrew Arensburger                      This message *does* represent the
address@hidden                      views of ooblick.com