koha-devel

[Koha-devel] Open Source or Free Software?

From: Joshua Ferraro
Subject: [Koha-devel] Open Source or Free Software?
Date: Wed Apr 16 17:04:04 2003

Hi All:
Koha is often referred to as an "open source" project (definition at
http://www.opensource.org/osd.html. Do we also characterize it as "free
software" (definition at http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html)?  I know
that in practice, nearly all software meeting one definition also meets the
other, I was just wondering what everyone thinks about the distinction.
To my mind, there are advantages to both terms.  "Open source" is more widely
known (at least around here) and expresses the "openness" of the code.  "Free
software" (as in free speech) comes closer to the library concept of free
access to information; it also (conveniently) covers the monetary aspect of
things (after all, the software is available at no cost).
Joshua