koha-devel

[Koha-devel] Re: [Koha] Open Source or Free Software?

From: Chris Cormack
Subject: [Koha-devel] Re: [Koha] Open Source or Free Software?
Date: Wed Apr 16 17:10:04 2003

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 08:03:54PM -0400, Joshua Ferraro said:
> Hi All:
> Koha is often referred to as an "open source" project (definition at
> http://www.opensource.org/osd.html. Do we also characterize it as "free
> software" (definition at http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html)?  I know
> that in practice, nearly all software meeting one definition also meets the
> other, I was just wondering what everyone thinks about the distinction.
> To my mind, there are advantages to both terms.  "Open source" is more widely
> known (at least around here) and expresses the "openness" of the code.  "Free
> software" (as in free speech) comes closer to the library concept of free
> access to information; it also (conveniently) covers the monetary aspect of
> things (after all, the software is available at no cost).

Hi Joshua,

I refer to it in both ways, it depends entirely on the audience im talking
to at the time :-)
I use the definition that is least confusing to them  :)

Chris

027 4500 789                                       Katipo Communications Ltd
address@hidden                                          www.katipo.co.nz