koha-devel

[Koha-devel] [IMPORTANT] MARC21 - Homebranch and holdbranch mapping

From: paul POULAIN
Subject: [Koha-devel] [IMPORTANT] MARC21 - Homebranch and holdbranch mapping
Date: Thu Apr 17 07:34:33 2003

Ron Wickersham wrote:

hi Ingrid,

Hi all,

here are some IMPORTANT thoughts

getting these parameters right is a bit confusing and caused us some experimenting before we got it to pass MARCcheck.

but at any rate, the branch table
must be filled by editing the parameter page.

You're right there.

in our case Larry Currie has made the mapping into tag 949, but you can
map to any tag subfield. here 949 subfield g has lib: "Home branch code in Koha", koha field: "items.homebranch", Rep: No, Mand: No, Tab: 10, and
Auth value: branches.   note that by chosing Tab: 10, we then are able to
select from the list of Authorized Values to record in the database the
value of the Home branch.  since you have chosen not to display the subfield,
then you wouldn't have any way to enter this information.
likewise 949 subfield l has Lib: "Holding brance code in Koha", koha field:
"items.hodingbranch", Rep: No, Mand: No, Tab: 10, and Auth value: branches.

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING :
ALL subfields connected to "items.*" koha table MUST be in the same tag.
It's somewhat logic : the biblio is unique, and you have many items that are located in differents branches. But you still have only one biblio. 1 MARC record = 1 biblio and ANY items of this biblio, located in any branch.

in your entries, i suggest changing the tag from "Ignore" to "10". in addition, since there is a separate record for each book or other item,
i don't think you want to set Repeatable to Yes, since an instance of an
item should never appear in more than one location at the same time :-).

you're right. If it's not the case in default MARC21 parameters => a good idea would be to report a bug bugs.koha.org

see if that helps squash out the MARCcheck error.

--
Paul POULAIN