koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Handling forms

From: paul POULAIN
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Handling forms
Date: Mon May 5 02:47:17 2003

Owen Leonard wrote:

I'm not sure if it's handled the same everywhere, but in the process for adding a new member, if you leave something blank, an error page tells you to hit the back button and correct the mistake.

No. It's a specific method. that's one of the problem with cathedral and bazaar : everybody has it's own rules to code, and sometimes, we reach a non-coherent GUI or code...

The way I try to build such pages in PHP is to have the page submit to itself, and if there are errors, the form can be redisplayed with the submitted values, and error messages can be added by each mistake. This makes it much clearer for the user (by marking each mistake where it was made), and prevents the possiblity of the form being empty when you hit the back button.

you're completly right ! It's done like this in some places in Koha anyway.

Would this be possible with Perl and HTML::Template? I think it's a much more user-friendly system, if so.
Of course, it's possible.
There are many improvements that can be done in Koha.
If you think this one is important, feel free to add a bug in bugs.koha.org, (as "improvment", low priority), and it will be done once blocking or major bugs are solved.

--
Paul POULAIN