koha-devel

[Koha-devel] Not sure how to contribute, but I thought I'd share.

From: Collins, Jeremy
Subject: [Koha-devel] Not sure how to contribute, but I thought I'd share.
Date: Tue Aug 5 13:21:07 2003

I've never contributed code to an Open Source project before so if I'm doing it
all wrong I'm sorry. I work for an adult learning center (state funded basic
education for adults) with a small library. We just downloaded and installed
Koha and it looks great. The z3950 search tool didn't function quite as we
expected. We were hoping to be able to use a barcode scanner to read the
barcode and start the search, but the form only takes ISBN and the barcode is
EAN (which has 8 of the ISBN digits encoded in it). We modified
'/koha/intranet/cgi-bin/acqui.simple/marcimport.pl ' so that if the ISBN query
was 13 digits instead of 9, then convert the 13 digit EAN to a 9 digit ISBN
before its submitted to the queue. It seems to be working, but we aren't using
any other part of the search so I'm not sure how well the patch works. I'm
attaching a diff of the changes in case those in charge decide they would like
them or if anyone else on the list can use them. Again if this isn't the right
place, or more information is needed please let me know. Thanks for such a
great, open source software package.

Jeremy Collins
address@hidden
Continuing Education Orange Center
Santiago Canyon College
Rancho Santiago Community College District

 <<koha_EAN_to_ISBN.diff>>