koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Next release

From: paul POULAIN
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Next release
Date: Fri Feb 20 00:47:20 2004

MJ Ray wrote:

On 2004-02-19 15:33:48 +0000 paul POULAIN <address@hidden> wrote:

I don't apply as Release Maintainer. Do we have a volunteer around ?

After repeated prompting, I'll go for this. If you make me 2.0.0 RM, I will:-

1. Only allow bugfixes into the main tree and try to avoid DB structure changes;

I agree

2. Aim for every new 2.0 bug squashed within a week of report, time permitting;

I agree.

3. Ask the 2.2 team to port 2.0 bugfixes or note they don't apply (= no 2.0 bug gets closed without it) for at least the first 3 months;

I will look closely to rel_2_0 CVS modifs if I become the 2.2 RM. & it i'm not 2.2 RM, i'll look closely anyway ;-)

4. Make a new release after fixing a blocker or critical bug;

I agree

5. Make a new release at most 6 weeks after fixing a bug, with at least 2 prereleases;

If the 2.0.x is bugfixes only, i don't think new releases needs pre-releases.

6. Introduce an alternative to the z3950daemon;

I think i don't agree here : the 2.0.x series should only be bugfixes & minor improvements. And I'm afraid the z3950 daemon alternative is something too important for this branch.

7. Help to update the koha manuals.

I congratulate you, and wish you a lot of happiness with this.

NOTE : i've recieved a mail from someone that asked me "what involves being Release Maintainer".
It's a good news :
* if we have 2 candidates, it means we will have only 1 RM, but more that 1 M !!! (& i think we should decide who is "elected" RM on a "time-avaible-for-koha" basis. But that's my personal opinion) * If we don't need more than 1M in the far future, we may ask 1M to go to HEAD and help here.
So, in any way, it's a good news ;-)

I apply as Release Manager for 2.2.0 if other ppl here like this idea.

Before deciding what I think on that, I would like to hear how and when you plan to reach 2.2.0 - when will 2.1 series releases and freeze happen? (I'd prefer to see 2.2 before late October...) What are the first set of new features to go into main?

I'll write something more complete in a week or 2, but you can already add :
* Serials module
* up to 5 differents kinds of MARC editor definition (for monography, serial, multimedia, ...)
* Borrowers suggestions in OPAC
* Rewritted & improved search. With the possibility to order the results by author / title / LC / ... * In OPAC, possibility to see the biblio in default / MARC / ISBD / XML view. * temporary baskets in OPAC : the user can add a biblio in the basket, then ask for them on his mail adress (in one of the previous 4 view) * improve thesaurus management, by having "see also" support (that does not exist yet)
* LOT of code & DB cleaning in CVS
* CSS-based librarian interface, to : 1-lower html size, 2- have a more versatile look, 3- have more readable code.

The roadmap ? mmm... good question... It will depend on the number of volunteers, developpers, funders. I think i'll fix release dates and then see what we put in the release. September seems to be a good date for a 1st 2.2 release.

--
Paul POULAIN