koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Next release

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Next release
Date: Fri Feb 20 02:55:22 2004

Hi Paul,

I'm glad that you agree with most of my plans. I'll just explain the one you don't agree with:

On 2004-02-20 08:47:22 +0000 paul POULAIN <address@hidden> wrote:

6. Introduce an alternative to the z3950daemon;
I think i don't agree here : the 2.0.x series should only be bugfixes & minor improvements. And I'm afraid the z3950 daemon alternative is something too important for this branch.

z39.50 is a "killer feature" for most potential koha adopters who I talk to. As you said yourself, the z3950daemon isn't easy to use at the moment, and we see a lot of questions about it on the list. Indeed, even I've not got a stable installation yet. I see that as a critical bug. I am not planning to remove it and I hope that it can be stabilised by the 2.2 team, but if an alternative 80% solution to this serious bug is possible, I would include it in 2.0.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden