koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] marc_word and searching

From: Paul POULAIN
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] marc_word and searching
Date: Thu Jun 3 06:16:07 2004

Joshua Ferraro a écrit :

that we want to use for searches (we don't need all of them as you pointed
out; for instance, we will never use 300 for a search).  So we have three
basic tasks:
another idea, that would be better maybe :
replace ' by _.
Thus, o'brian searches o_brian, that will be stored in the DB.
The only limit is that a search on brian won't be successful. Tell me if it's a problem.

Otherwise, we could add a 'index also 1 letter words', but, imho, ONLY with the 'do not index this subfield feature'.
It seems to me like indexing on single-character words will lead to a more
accurate search--though the marc_word table will be a bit bloated.  I suppose
we should also think about other punctuation marks too--do we change them
all to _ or do we leave them in the database?
So... what do we decide here ? Joshua seems to prefer 1 letter indexing.
Is there anyone having an opinion on this topic ?

--
Paul POULAIN