koha-devel

[Koha-devel] Re: [Koha] importing, marc mapping, progress

From: Paul POULAIN
Subject: [Koha-devel] Re: [Koha] importing, marc mapping, progress
Date: Tue Aug 10 00:25:03 2004

Scott Scriven wrote:

<>Hello...

I was thinking about building a full MARC display today, and then
came across some related messages... Anyway, here is how I was
thinking of implementing a more complete display. It essentially
involves a marc tag list consumable by the template, and a
generic CSS-friendly display controlled by a separate CSS file.
Details are below:

Build a hash of marc data for each relevant record. Perhaps
two-layered, to account for both fields and subfields. These
will go into a list I'll call "records". Pass this to the
display template along with the koha data.

While displaying the records, the template should pull out and
consume (remove from the hash) whatever fields are desired,
then display the rest afterward, in a generic format. To
prevent display of a field, the template should consume it
without printing it.

The template would generate output similar to...
(pseudocode, but for clarity, code is in <? ?>'s)

<? delete record["245"]["a"] ?>
<? delete record["100"]["a"] ?>

... and below (any info not used above) ... a titled div for each
tag, containing a titled div for each subfield and the actual
data in a span:

Additional MARC Info
| Additional author (700) |
| +--------------------------------------------+ |
| | Personal Name (700 $a): Doe, John | |
| +--------------------------------------------+ |
| +--------------------------------------------+ |
| | Description (700 $g): blah blah blah | |
| +--------------------------------------------+ |

<? for each tag in record: ?>
<h3><? print tag_names[tag], (tag) ?>/h3>
<? for each field in record[tag]: ?>
<h4><? print tag_names[tag], (tag) ?></h4>
<? print record[tag][field] ?>
<? end for ?>
<? end for ?>

Layout detail would then be implemented with CSS, with generic
formatting for most tags and special formatting for any known
tags which should stand out. See http://csszengarden.com/ for
details of how this sort of layout can work.

Anyway, this would require the template to do a little more than
just print out variables. It would need to call functions and/or
unset hash entries. Is that possible?

Does any of this sound reasonable?

It's almost what we plan to do for "ISBD view". Not exactly, but near.
About css, i must admit i'm not a css-master, so help in actual code is welcomed (note it's better in the coming 2.2, but not yet csszengarden-top-quality ;-) =

<> Should I be posting on the
dev list instead?

yes, I cc it.

--