koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] KohaWiki defaced daily

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] KohaWiki defaced daily
Date: Thu Nov 4 04:46:09 2004

On 2004-11-04 08:04:52 +0000 Roger BUCK <address@hidden> wrote:

The tavi wiki software has not kept pace with these developments and has seen little development in general over the last two years.

How much development does a wiki need? They should be fairly simple tools that do a fairly simple task well. I recently ranted about creeping featurism in Kwiki on http://mjr.towers.org.uk/blog/2004-8.html#kwiki1101

The wiki is backed up nightly (sqldump - around 16:00 GMT) and there are monthly backups (held for at least six months), but there is no simple way to restore a previous version of a defaced page via the in-built revision control system.

That's a shame. Is there a complicated way and is it possible to automate it? Even just a "this page has been spammed" link to tell someone who can roll it back would help.

One wiki I use has a single username and password (htaccess) which seems to stop nearly all spammers, despite the login prompt (AuthName) saying what the username and password are!

Taking all of the above (and related issues such as RSS problems) into consideration, it may be time to look for an alternative solution?

Possibly. Recently, I have used:
* MoinMoin - never liked this one or used it much
* Twiki - only as a user - seems very complicated with multiple webs and user registration - supplied templates are buggy * Kwiki - 0.18 is fast, easy to install and flexible, but the current 0.33 has several obscure dependencies and doesn't seem as simple to modify - supplied templates are buggy in both versions - revision control extensions available * UseMod - fairly easy to install, but is one huge perl script so probably not easy to modify. Revision control included. * PhpWiki - stable version is fairly easy to install and use - similar to Tavi, I think. Newer version has lots of plugins and extensions. WikiMarkup is quite different to the normal one, I think.

I may have confused some of those. You are in a maze of twisty WikiCode, all different.

 Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
 Unsolicited attachments to the pipex address deleted
Will HLF fund tree-killings? http://www.thewalks.co.uk/