koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Barcodes Barcodes

From: Joshua Allen Holm
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Barcodes Barcodes
Date: Mon Jun 20 20:35:17 2005

I haven't managed to get Barcodes to work 100% correctly but I have found a few things that may be helpful. Version 0.41 of PDF::API has a very different layout and a load of new/changed features when compared to the older 0.3r77 release. As you have already seen with PDF::API2::PDF::Utils.pm moving to PDF::API2::Basic::PDF::Utils.pm. PDF::API2.pm seems to no longer have a barcode method but it does have individual methods for different barcode types.

Changing 'barcode' on line 165 and line 237 of barcodesGenerator.pl to any one of the various barcode methods in PDF::API2.pm (xo_codabar, xo_code128, xo_2of5int, xo_3of9, or xo_ean13), makes the barcode generator sort of work. The problem is the barcodes printed using the default settings are massive and the top margin of the page is ignored. Only the second line of the title & author text label appears when I try to print a label on the first row of label numbers, everything else is cut off. If I try to print the barcode on the last row the first digit of the barcode takes up almost a third of the page.

If I revert back to the 0.3r77 release of PDF::API2 (and don't make any changes to koha's files, i.e. don't change PDF::API2::PDF::Utils to PDF::API2::Basic::PDF::Utils) the margin problem disappears (at least for the text label) but the barcodes are still way too big. If I change the DPI setting the something massive like 5760 the barcode starts to approach a normal size. If I use an install of Perl 5.6 (instead of the 5.8 install I normally use) with PDF::API2 0.3r77, the pdf generated has the same problems as the one using PDF::API2 0.3r77 on Perl 5.8 only now Acrobat Reader complains that the PDF generated is corrupt and cannot be repaired, but only when the pdf is automatically opened after clicking "generate barcodes". If I open the PDF file from the tmp directory it opens just fine.

A zip file containing a collection of PDFs generated by a few of the various things I have tried is available at http://students.lisp.wayne.edu/~ar0633/koha_barcodes.zip
the file names should (hopefully) be self explanatory.

My Koha install is a bit wonky; I manually installed Koha on Windows XP to test out/play with so there is a slim possibility that there is something wrong on my end for some of the problems. On the topic of Koha on Windows, I would like to point out that barcodesGenerator.pl, on line 133 uses colons in the file name it creates to save the barcode pdf file. This obviously does not work on Windows and should probably be changed to something else (I simply changed the colons to periods).

Hope this helps,

--
Joshua Allen Holm, MLIS
address@hidden

Joshua Ferraro wrote:
Hi all,

I attempted to get the barcode generation going this afternoon
and failed. My problems started with the error everyone else
has reported:
Can't locate PDF/API2/PDF/Utils.pm in @INC

I found that Fedora was having trouble installing PDF::API2 (but
it was not giving any useful errors). So I installed the Fedora
package for PDF::API2's one major dependency: Compress::Zlib (the
package name is perl-Compress-Zlib). After that installed I was
able to install PDF::API2. But I still got the same error and I
noticed the following:

/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/PDF/API2/Basic/PDF/Utils.pm

I replaced use PDF::API2::PDF::Utils; with PDF::API2::Basic::PDF::Utils;
in barcodesGenerator.pl and printerConfig.pl.

Now I'm getting:
Can't locate object method "barcode" via package "PDF::API2" at
/home/koha001/koha/intranet/cgi-bin/barcodes/barcodesGenerator.pl line 239

I don't see a barcode method anywhere on CPAN for the PDF::API2
modules. Is there another library that has this method?

Has anyone use the barcode generation successfully? Any tips for
getting it going?

Thanks,