koha-devel

RE: [Koha-devel] Koha installation procedure

From: Jared Camins-Esakov
Subject: RE: [Koha-devel] Koha installation procedure
Date: Tue Jun 21 12:01:08 2005

> Basically, what I think he means is that the sysadmin should be able to
> do a "rpm --install", then say "my job's done, over to you" to the koha
> admin.

That is what I was trying to say. In hindsight, I should've just said
that, as it probably makes a lot more sense to a lot more people than my
rather poor illustration.

> Certainly that makes sense, but whether it's practical is another matter
> ... you can't always cleanly separate the system from the app, as I've
> found on having to bugger about with default installs that don't have
> sensible (for us) defaults ...

That's another question. Any thoughts? My thought was that the "sensible
defaults" should not necessarily be a full set-up, merely enough that it
can be passed off to the Koha admin (e.g. all files exist, but the
configuration files are empty, or only the options that can't currently be
changed using installer.pl are set...). Having Koha work "out of the box"
without any configuration seems like an unreasonable goal. There are too
many options, and guessing the wrong configuration (e.g. UNIMARC versus
MARC21) would leave the admin in a much worse spot than leaving the system
unconfigured would, in my opinion. Does this make sense?

Thanks.
-- Jared Camins-Esakov

--
Jared Camins-Esakov