koha-devel

[Koha-devel] Searching Group Meeting Notes

From: Joshua Ferraro
Subject: [Koha-devel] Searching Group Meeting Notes
Date: Wed Jun 22 08:43:27 2005

Hi everyone,

Sorry I'm late in putting this out:

Present:
kados
slef
owen
chris
paul
thd
rach

This is just the highlights. If you want to grok the issues you'll
need to read the log:
http://koha.org/cgi-bin/logs.pl?recall=recall&saved_query=Searching%20Meeting%2021%20June%202005

1 Started with a discussion of Zebra:

 using zebra as a plugin isn't a good idea because we don't want to
 maintain two koha searching apis

 we need to test Zebra to determine which option is best: zebra for all
  (need to test .. does this make circ slower) or zebra for biblio,
  database for item info

 paul will begin working on porting Biblio.pm to reindex zebra (to store
 status info in the MARC record and re-index zebra during circ)

 chris will work on writing a wrapper for opac searches

 kados will begin working on configuration of Zebra

 thd mentioned some problematic UNIMARC issues related to compound fields

2 slef and kados discussed CQL as a query front end. discussion will be
  moved to koha-devel

3 the discussion turned to opensearch. kados showed the opensearch demo
  http://liblime.com/opensearchportal.html

 the idea of federated searching and ILL using opensearch was
  discussed

 slef suggested looking at RDF rather than RSS2.0

 the discussion will be moved to koha-devel

--
Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
LibLime                  Koha ILS, Mambo Intranet, DiscrimiNet Filter