koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Itemtype and MARC21 Quandry

From: Joshua Ferraro
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Itemtype and MARC21 Quandry
Date: Sun Oct 2 18:55:05 2005

On Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 08:57:37AM +1200, Chris Cormack wrote:
> If you have a MARC record that contains multiple record types, you
> should get 1 biblio -> multiple biblioitems -> multiple items.

I think this is how UNIMARC is handled, but not MARC21. When bulkimporting
MARC21 records, there is 1 biblio, 1 biblioitem, multiple items (and
the biblio number and biblioitemnumber are the same for the initial
import).

How should we handle the (repeatable) 852 fields in a record when they
contain some biblioitem-level stuff and some item-level stuff (like
barcode).

While we're on the topic:
Chris's original db design (biblio->biblioitem->item) comes very close
to the (fairly) new Functional Requiremente for Bibliographic Records
(FRBR) (http://www.oclc.org/research/projects/frbr/default.htm). Looking
forward, are we aiming to come closer to FRBR or are we going to stick
with the original design and fix MARC21 support to use that design?
Any opinions?

Cheers,
--
Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
address@hidden |Full Demos at http://liblime.com/koha |1(888)KohaILS