koha-devel

RE: [Koha-devel] Biblio.pm Choices IMPORTANT

From: Tümer Garip
Subject: RE: [Koha-devel] Biblio.pm Choices IMPORTANT
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 18:37:12 +0300

Hi Josh,
Regarding difference of dev-week biblio.pm and HEAD biblio.pm

1- Dev-week biblio.pm has got $bibid variable but only as a variable
name. There are no marc_biblio, marc_word or marc_subfield tables that
they use. All the version 2_2 function names are kept to allow 2_2
intranet & opac scripts to work without modifications. So going ahead
and doing a search&replace all $bibid to $biblionumber will not break
anything.

2- Dev-week biblio.pm contains lots of the unnecessary code left over
from 2_2

3- Dev-week biblio contains a routine called zebraop which only gets
called twice.Once for 'specialUpdate' updating the zebradatabase and
once for 'recordDelete' deleting the database.
All handling of  by which user to which port is done at Context.pm level
redaing the configuration file koha.conf or newly renamed to koha.xml
(by me) to prevent confusion with the 2_2 koha.conf. New one is an xml
file which contains both mysql and zebra configurations.

4- Dev-week biblio.pm also contains some new code to be able to update
holdings data in marc records (such as onloan and holdingbranch).

5-Dev-week biblio also contains sorting of callnumbers according to LC
rules by default (NEU uses LC) which will have to be looked into and set
rules on how to sort for Dewey,LC or any other. Another discussion
subject

6-HEAD biblio.pm is clean of unnecessary code. All but a few $bibid
variables are removed

7-HEAD biblio.pm introduced new routines strating with REAL thus changed
the logic in database handling.  I could not get head to work properly
so I do not know whether new bugs introduced or not.

8-Adding zebra support to any biblio.pm is very easy with zebraop. Any
time you write a marc record to the database just call zebraop with the
biblionumber. Any time you want to delete a marc record from the
database call zebraop prior to actual deletion.

9-As long as HEAD biblio.pm code works with mysql database properly just
adding zebrasupport for it should not be difficult.

10-I also we should clean up this biblio once and for all. But if you
need zebrasupport today by simlply adding a few fields to your existing
koha db then dev-week biblio.pm should be kept otherwise for a clean 3.0
HEAD biblio.pm forge dev-week biblio and start debugging and redesigning
HEAD biblio.pm. I personally will not be able to do that as I have
production on dev-week biblio.pm and now adding zebra support to
AuthoritiesMarc.pm which by the way uses zebraop logic

11-Regarding char_decode: I already have Expat installed and still could
not get M:F:X to work properly. But I also think that we should get rid
of it otherwise its always going to be a problem as new formats or
languages are added to KOHA. I also stroongly believe that all data
within KOHA & ZEBRA should be UTF-8 and non UTF-8 handling should only
be allowed when importing or exporting of MARC records

Cheers
Tumer