koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] coding guidelines, SQL queries

From: Paul POULAIN
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] coding guidelines, SQL queries
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 11:35:34 +0200

Pierrick LE GALL a écrit :
Hello koha-devel,

I've put online the first of the coding guidelines [1]. I've started
with SQL queries.

I want your feedback about what I've written. Concerning inserts and
updates, I propose two new functions mass_inserts and mass_updates
(that I have already written in PHP, easy to port in Perl).

I think you write very interesting things, very precise.

The problem being we already have 300 000 lines of code ! so, I think we should split the rules in 2 parts : - rules that have to be followed for new code, and fixed in old code when someone spend time to do it. But it's not urgent - rules that have to be followed for new code, and existing code MUST be MODIFIED ASAP. Modifying it for Koha 3.0 is a priority.

I also think we should let some freedom to developpers.
Although I agree
Select borrowers.*,categories.category_type from borrowers left join categories on borrowers.categorycode=categories.categorycode where cardnumber=?
on the same line is poor,
I think too precise rules won't be followed by anyone strictly.
so we should have "mandatory rules" and "suggested rules".

for example : I would follow "UPCASE for reserved words" but "probably not 2 spaces ..."[*])

[*] not because i'm against this rule. but because I would probably forget it most of the time !

--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants