koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Reverting to previous versions in CVS

From: Vincent Danjean
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Reverting to previous versions in CVS
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 07:15:52 +0100

Mason James a écrit :
> ok, i just have to ask... :)
>
> why git over svn?

  I think that svn is not very good in merging several branches together
several times (even if it is better that CVS). svk can do that for one
user, but not really for several.

  A distributed SCM will be able to allow fork and merge of several
branches (2.2, 3.0, test, test2, ...) taking care automatically of new
things and things already imported from/into this branch.
  However, as koha is a multi-plateform application, I would suggest to
use mercurial[1] instead of git. It is written in python and can be
installed on linux, *BSD, Solaris, Windows, ...

> fyi: i dont have any git knowledge/experience, except that chris said
> its very differenct from cvs

  Git and mercurial are very similar. But it's right they are different
from centralized SCM (as CVS and SVN). To those that are interested, I
would recommend to read :
http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/UnderstandingMercurial
and
http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/Tutorial
(the tutorial is available in english, french, spanish, chinese and
japanese)

[1]: http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi