koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] IMPORTANT Koha 3.0 updatedatase and kohastructure.sql

From: Chris Cormack
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] IMPORTANT Koha 3.0 updatedatase and kohastructure.sql
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 12:55:34 +1200

On 4/07/2007, at 12:54 PM, MJ Ray wrote:

"Joshua M. Ferraro" <address@hidden> wrote: [...]
I'd also like to point out that updatedatabase should start completely
blank for 3.0. IMO updatedatabase shouldn't be the upgrade path
from 1.x or 2.x to 3.0 ... rather, it should be the upgrade path
for 3.0 to 3.2, etc. Other thoughts?

I thought updatedatabase started as the upgrade path from 2.0 to 2.2
or similar.  How will 2.2 users upgrade to 3.0 if not updatedatabase?

Hmm yeah, good question.

I'd like to get feedback from everyone on the best way to maintain
kohastructure.sql and updatedatabase, to make sure we always have a
known SQL definition and update process. Comments, ideas?

Firstly, the dumps should be made with the same options.  How about:
  LANG=C mysqldump -cnQ koha >kohastructure.sql
?

I like it

My second suggestion is more radical: kohastructure.sql should only be
changed in a branch by the release manager.  Ideally, that would only
happen with each release at most.  At all other times, ALTER
statements and other transformations should be added to an upgrade
file, say called kohastructure-3.0.0.sql, then kohastructure-3.0.1.sql
- or should it be .pl and done with DBI commands?

If included in the release, they could also be the basis of the
database upgrade, just running that one change file for each release.

That sounds like a great idea, much easier to track changes, and it does allow an easy upgrade path.

Chris

--
Chris Cormack                            address@hidden
VP Research and Development                        www.liblime.com