koha-devel

[Koha-devel] commit "various authorities fixes" (from galen)

From: Paul POULAIN
Subject: [Koha-devel] commit "various authorities fixes" (from galen)
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:14:33 +0100

Hello world,

I have some comment & thoughts about this commit :
http://git.koha.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=Koha;a=commit;h=fa480ea4f3e9a8f9db32d9fe06399766cf02ff84

* 152 field for authority type is unused in marc21, so using it is harmless. But it's the correct field for unimarc, so I think we could accept it (as 1xx is the correct place imho)

* why would be need to use summary only in UNIMARC ? The limits of the summary feature are the same in MARC21 & UNIMARC. And for full headings, it does not work 100% correctly in unimarc as well. So let it empty. That's what we say to our customers

* The complete building of authority include some non translatable strings. It's not due to galen commit, but I think we will (in france) see this question thrown back to us quite soon... I don't know how we will solve it atm.

knowing 2 and 3 users can choose to have something translated or something correct from a MARC pov. I know some customers that will prefer one, some prefering the other.

--
Paul POULAIN, consultant senior
BibLibre SARL