koha-translate

[Koha-translate] Re: Problems concerning translation

From: Axel Bojer
Subject: [Koha-translate] Re: Problems concerning translation
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 20:36:42 +0200

Axel Bojer wrote:
Problems that needs to be corrected in Koha concerning translation

Here we have collected some problems we have encountered, a in some parts similar request has also been given by the Turkish team.

If you have not added a name in Opac, then the welcome message gets just weird, it should give another text when the user name is not present:
    "Hello, (Click here if you're not )"
What about "No user name configured" or something?

Opac sometimes has a to small box for longer sentences. For instance
«my personal details» If we wrote "Min personinformasjon" the word would be cut of at the end. It would only fit when my cutted the «my» at the start (which we did overall because we found it to be just annoying and of no real use).
    /cgi-bin/koha/opac-user.pl

If we add our own currency, Norske kroner, it would only show "Norske kro": The field is to small for "Norske kroner".
    /cgi-bin/koha/acqui/acqui-home.pl

Important links here.
Search vendors:
Vendor Search
Search catalogue:
Overdue fines
Hold ratios
Billing
NO_LIBRARY_SET
etc.
-> All those are not yet translatable, although we have translated all of both staff and opac and input it to our local test version -- and are using the latest version we found in git. I also asked for a pot-file, but since no one told where to get it I made my own from the German file in git :-P (not he best of solutions, but worked).

Some words/strings are used at multiple places. This is not always wise. Sometimes this word has different meanings in the different circumstances and should therefore be separate strings to be really translatable. /cgi-bin/koha/admin/systempreferences.pl?op=add_form&searchfield=language -> Not translatable, and seems to need a real clean up. For Norwegian it would for instance need to be "Norwegian Bokmål" and "Norwegian Nynorsk" instead of "Norsk(nb-NO)"
and "(nn-NO)" (where nb-NO means Norwegian Bokmål).

Z39.50 is the right name for this standard, with big Z. This is wrong in the original English string.

I forgot one:
I think the now used system with %s (or %S, confusingly enough) should be replaces by numbers such as %1 or similar, so that the order can be changed. The present system is sometimes a problem because different languages have different ways of structuring their sentences. Please change this, that way this would no more be a problem :-P

Best regards
Axel Bojer