koha-zebra

[Koha-zebra] Re: A few Zebra questions

From: Joshua Ferraro
Subject: [Koha-zebra] Re: A few Zebra questions
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 11:33:57 -0800

On Sat, Apr 01, 2006 at 09:29:53PM +0300, Tümer Garip wrote:
> I am cc'ing this to the list as I think we should all discuss it.
Good idea.

> Well the crash problem is solved by Adam releasing version 1.3.35 as a
> snapshot. But what I do is (incase something goes wrong) is to keep the
> exported marc records. I a crash occurs you can not use the zebradb you
> have to delete all the files of zebradb and start clean. I have written
> another script that exports marc records not by biblionumber but by
> their time-stamp. So I only export the modified records since my marc
> record backups. It all depend how old they are. It is faster just to
> export a few days records than the whole lot. But I think this issue is
> no more an issue. I have the system online being updated 24hrs a day for
> the last 5 days and all seems to have settled down.
Great news that it's stabilized. Could you share your time-stamp export
script with us? (we really need to get you set up on Savannah, it's much
easier to commit to CVS than email a script to us :-)).

> I no more have marc_subfield_table or marc_biblio. I keep marcxml and
> marc in bibilioitems. Although I am populating the marcxml field as well
> currently I am using everthing from marc field. This is easier to
> maintain as 2.2 requires marc rather than xml everywhere.
So you keep _both_ marc and marcxml? Are these both updated (along with
zebra) with every change to the bib records? Do you update status
and holdingbranch within each record? anything else?

> Well the for the grs.marcxml filter you have to feed marc(iso2079)
> records. It does not accept anything else. I use this for initial
> zebradb built. While you can only use grs.xml filter from within ZOOM
> because thats the only filter to feed xml records (marcxml or whatever).
Gotcha, that's what I've done as well.

> If you use the <collection> wrapper than you can not call back a record
> from the zebradb as marc(iso2079). The onlyway you can get it back is
> xml and than convert it to marc(iso2079) which is irritating, time
> consuming, slow etc. Since I need marc(iso2079) why get the file as xml
> and convert it to marc while zebra can actually serve me marc records in
> zooming speed?
Gotcha. In the Koha plugin (for rel_2_2), we're grabbing the marc(iso2709)
and converting to MARCXML on-the-fly for display of the record. Looking
ahead, we need to decide how to handle this in 3.0.

> I ahd problems compiling the new MARC::File::XML so I am using the 0.6
> version which I modified so that it gives me <records> whith no
> <collection> wrapper. I also do not have utf-8 problem you are having.
> The marc record in biblioitems is UTF8 - when converted for zebra
> produces utf8 xml and zebra serves me utf8 marc records.
Could you tell us the probs you had compiling? Did you check your version
of MARC::Charset to make sure it's up-to-date? Mike Rylander just let
me know that there is a '->as_xml_record' method on the MARC::Record
object that _should_ work for you. It's not released on CPAN yet (still
waiting to hear whether the fix for UNIMARC records has worked) so you'll
need to grab it from Sourceforge.

> You will find attached marc21_field_008.pl value builder files  because
> I noticed that you intent to use 008 field to extract the
> date-added-to-db. Well any records produced in KOHA does not have this
> field, so I think we'll need it.
I created a marc21_field_008.pl that's already committed to CVS for
rel_2_2, but it doesn't include the dates ... I'll merge the two and
commit them ... Thanks!

> I intent to come to Paris for KohaCon so we may discuss these further
> than,
Great news! Look forward to seeing you there.

Cheers,

--
Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
address@hidden |Full Demos at http://liblime.com/koha |1(888)KohaILS