libcdio-devel

[Libcdio-devel] Drive capabilities on FreeBSD, need work?

From: R. Bernstein
Subject: [Libcdio-devel] Drive capabilities on FreeBSD, need work?
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:32:08 -0400

Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò writes:
 > Hi,
 > I'm trying to write an eject(linux)-compatible utility working ok Linux,
 > FreeBSD and Darwin/OSX (to have a working Gentoo default for all the
 > different OS we support).

Great!

 > Unfortunately seems like drives on FreeBSD's ioctl doesn't support
 > capabilities (I always get No to capabilities when trying with
 > examples/device.c).

When I look at libcdio/lib/FreeBSD/freebsd.c, I see it is just as you
say.  There is only code for CAM and that uses the generic MMC command
set (which will tend towards getting correct because when there's a
problem, it's broken many places).

 > Is this a planned behavior, or needs to be fixed?

More ignorance than planning.  But my understanding is that CAM access
in FreeBSD is the preferred mechanism for whatever you are doing.

 > If the latter is the case I'd like to start working on it as I want
 > to create an "universal eject" command.

I don't know or understand FreeBSD all that well. My access to FreeBSD
machines usually is remote and without access to a real CD-ROM
drive. I welcome help whereever it comes from. If you feel that the
FreeBSD ioctl mechanism should work (I really don't know if it should
or one should just use CAM) and you know how to add those capabilities
which are defined by the MMC spec via ioctl (I don't) , then by all
means do it. Thanks!