libcdio-devel

[Libcdio-devel] OSX SCSI MMC commands via PLScsi?

From: R. Bernstein
Subject: [Libcdio-devel] OSX SCSI MMC commands via PLScsi?
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 21:49:54 -0500

I came across this interesting link to a program called PLScsi
  http://members.aol.com/plscsi/mac/

It allows one to issue SCSI commands from a command line and has a
"ping" command to issue a SCSI Inquire command. The interesting thing
is that works on OSX, something that is sorely lacking in libcdio.

But the usual OSX caveat applies. From http://members.aol.com/plscsi/mac/

   Second nastiest remaining technical issue are the significant side
   effects of the open/ close in the launch-open-ioctl-close-exit
   sequence that's fundamental to the idea of plscsi at the command
   line.  In Mac OS X, open works only if preceded by diskutil unmount
   (that's "unmount" not "umount"), and close provokes automount,
   ouch.

I will be writing the author, Pat LaVarre, soon. However if there are
folks out there that want to use this here it is. Volunteers to use
this as a guide to getting issuing MMC commands on OSX?

(Oh yeah. In case you hadn't noticed libcdio 0.77 has been
released. Thanks again to all that helped make this release possible.)