libcdio-devel

Re: [Libcdio-devel] OSX SCSI MMC commands via PLScsi?

From: Steven M. Schultz
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] OSX SCSI MMC commands via PLScsi?
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:46:46 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006, R. Bernstein wrote:

> Couldn't a program that needs to issue a MMC command (via this SCSI
> passthrough mechanism) just try to do an unmount just before it opens
> the device? Would this work?

        Not sure.  Might work.  What if it wasn't mounted - the 'automount
        on close' would still happen.

        I think the desired (but hard to achieve - I don't know how to do it)
        result is something like " if it's mounted, issue the MMC command,
        leave the device mounted" _OR_ "if it's not mounted, issue the MMC
        command, and leave the device unmounted".

        Right?

        At one time we/you had something working - but the act of closing
        kept remounting the drive and changing the owner of the device to
        the person logged in on the console (me ;)).

        Quite annoying.  T

        There's got to be some documentation buried somewhere at Apple's
        site and/or "bookstore" with how to manipulate devices - I've seen
        programs like Roxio's Toast "do the right thing" so it's possible,
        just don't know where to look.

        Steven Schultz